Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) Accessibility Compliance
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Federal Aviation Administration’s Airport Disability Compliance Program, Waterloo Regional Airport meets all legal standards to serve people with disabilities without discrimination. The Airport Staff and Tenants are known for going above and beyond the rules and regulations to ensure every passenger is treated fairly, receives comfortable accommodations, and has the assistance needed to make their trip as smooth as possible. Learn more about ADA compliance and accessibility at Waterloo Regional Airport, located in Waterloo, Iowa, and serving the Waterloo-Cedar Falls metro area and Cedar Valley Region, including Black Hawk, Bremer, Buchanan, Butler, Chickasaw, Fayette, Grundy, Floyd, Franklin, Hardin, and Tama Counties.
Meeting and Exceeding Legal Requirements
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, individuals with physical or cognitive disabilities are granted civil rights protections from discrimination based on their disability when seeking access to private, public, or federally funded services or employment. Waterloo Regional Airport is monitored for compliance by the FAA, fully adheres to ADA requirements, and guarantees a disabled passenger’s rights to equal access to transportation. Specifically, according to the Department of Transportation (DOT) Section 504 regulation, the airport must comply with the following:
- All applicable requirements of the ADA
- DOT’s ADA regulations (49 CFR parts 37 and 38)
- Department of Justice regulations for implementing ADA Title II
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) regulations for implementing ADA Title I
Accommodations at Waterloo Regional Airport
Waterloo Regional Airport works hand-in-hand with American Airlines to ensure all passengers with disabilities receive the appropriate accommodations during twice-daily commercial service to O’Hare International Airport (ORD) in Chicago, Illinois. These include the following and more:
- Boarding assistance: We provide ramps, mechanical lifts, and other equipment to assist individuals in easily and safely boarding the aircraft.
- Safety and accessibility features: Throughout the entire property, those with disabilities will find a host of safety and accessibility features, including but not limited to:
- Wheelchair-accessible ramps, pathways, and doorways
- Sturdy handrails
- Sufficient lighting
- ADA-approved unisex restrooms
- Properly trained staff
- And more…
- Readily accessible services: From parking and car rentals to ticket counters and security checkpoints, all services at Waterloo Regional Airport must be readily available, accessible, and usable by patrons with disabilities.
- Design standards: While all existing facilities are required to be accessible and utilized by passengers with disabilities, all new construction and renovations must abide by the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design.
To inquire about in-flight ADA accommodations, contact American Airlines.
Learn More about ADA Accessibility and Accommodations
For more information about how the airport’s facilities adhere to the rules and regulations of the ADA, contact Waterloo Regional Airport, located at 2790 Livingston Ln, Waterloo, IA, 50703. Providing daily commercial service to ORD in Chicago, Waterloo Regional Airport welcomes passengers from the Waterloo-Cedar Falls metro area and 14-county Cedar Valley Region, including Black Hawk, Bremer, Buchanan, Butler, Chickasaw, Fayette, Grundy, Floyd, Franklin, Hardin, and Tama Counties.